I might be right

Friday, April 13

Random musings

Earlier today, while watching a program on the Greatest Rock Anthems on Showtime (don’t ask), me and my flatmates got to wondering is any of today’s artists could gather a crowd like Queen did. And what concerts are the largest held (single concert, not a festival or world happening)? I decided to write a little bit on the subject

I had it all set up. I was going to write about how all the big names in music are gone. How none of today’s big names can really draw an audience like they used to do back in the days… Beatles drew a number of 55.600people at Shea Stadium back in 1965, and would have gotten many times more had the venue permitted it. The Rolling Stones drew two and three hundred thousand in the UK and US respectively back in 1969. Granted they were both free performances, but the numbers are still there.
Queen drew 72.000 people to Wembley Stadium two nights in a row in the summer of 1986 and under a moth later Knebworth Park got packed with 120.000 people who got to experience the group’s final live performance with Freddy Mercury on the stage. Not to mention the 325.000 people the group drew at the Rio Rock Festival early in ’85.

I had it all lined up and ready to go. Who can draw those numbers today? What band is big enough that people are more than willing to stay all the way in the back at Wembley just for the possibility to say “I was there when they played that time”? There are some names that draw such a crowd I’m sure – U2 is one that springs to mind. And there are probably others that have the name to draw such crowds all by themselves.

There is a ‘but’: A huge, friggin giant of a ‘but’. Look up a bit and see if you can connect a name and a place. If not I’ll give you a hint: the year is 2006.

The Rolling Stones, Rio de Janeiro, 2006: Estimated one-point-five-million people present.

(Yes it was a free concert. Yes they are oldies. Yes only paying attendants should count. But it is 1.5m people at a single location gathered to see one band. I have nothing)

…If you were wondering: Queen – We Will Rock You won the title of Greatest Rock Anthem…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Queen... I read a post yesterday, in which a 21-year old girl discovered Queen and wondered how could she have possibly missed such classics.
Congrats, now I am all nostalgic again and searching where to download the greatest hits...