I might be right

Wednesday, March 21

On the subject of blogs

I don’t read a lot of blogs. Not regularly at least. My bookmark-folder for blogs counts the grand total of 15 entries. And I guess read about half of those on a more or less regular basis. But I’m expanding: like today for instance, I added two. Both of them winners of a Weblog Award (yes I’m horribly late with discovering the winners: I had to get them through a mainstream newspaper). Now for a short list:

Gizmodo
“Gizmodo, the gadget guide. So much in love with shiny new toys, it's unnatural.” This is a very good blog about gadgets. New shiny stuff that I’ll never get and some things that I wouldn’t want if I got it for free: All very well written with a lot of (somewhat geeky) humour by the staff at the Giz.

Engadget
Engadget could be called Gizmodo’s big brother and is the top ranking blog at Tecnorati (Gizmodo ranking in at number 4). It covers much of the same subjects as Giz, and combined they give tell you all you need to know about the what’s in the world of gadgets.

StopBuyingCrap.com
This is what the ‘About’ section has to say about StopBuyingCrap.com: “Quick story. One day I woke up and found out that I’m $10,000 in debt — and I wasn’t even of legal drinking age yet. Uh oh?” It’s a well written personal finance blog – go take a look.

Violent Acres
Some people might have a hard time admitting to reading Violent Acres, and I don’t blame them. The blog is written by an angry, bitchy, I-take-on-the-world woman in her early thirties who is very much for abortion and has a strong disliking of so-called ‘mommybloggers’. She usually writes about a vide variety of subjects and most of them make for a good read (even if some of the posts are a bit … much)

Waiter rant
This is one of the blogs that made it into my bookmarks folder today. A waiter in New York writes about life and bad tippers. Winning the Weblog Award for Best Writing in a Weblog (I see a pattern emerging) this blog is one that I’ll no doubt follow more closely from now.

English Russia
This is a photoblog with images from all over Russia often with a small commentary following a set of images. Every day something happens in the worlds largest country (too bad it has significantly more downtime than most other blogs).

BibliOdyssey
Books~ ~Illustrations~ ~Science~ ~History~ ~Visual Materia Obscura~ ~Eclectic Bookart. Another photoblog featuring artwork from a vide variety of literary sources. It’s pretty, go have a look.

PostSecret
Weblog of the Year. “PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard.” A worthy winner indeed.


Suggestions for additions to my bookmarks folder greatly appreciated…
 

4 comments:

Andreas said...

Only two blogs I ever read from your list are Gizmodo and Engadget. Engadget would be the more serious among them (just have a look at their other network sites), but blogs are supposed to be personal, funny, and sometimes downright cruel. I still read both, and can't really pick a favorite (they overlap quite a lot). You should check out the other sites in the "Weblogs Inc." and "Gawker Media" networks though. Hit Wikipedia for a complete list :)

Now excuse me while I check out your other favorites...

Morghus said...

I sympathize. I read some, infrequently, but usually when they pop up on slyck.com or I find I lack something interesting to read. I suppose I should add some more links on my blog, but eh.. :p

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, my favourite sarcastic male blogger, manhattentransfer, and my favourite sarcastic female blogger, lostinlisbon, don't write very often.
Other blogs/RSS feeds: lifehacker moderately geeky, language log, a source of new comics and linguistic jokes, and the english blog of my second-favourite lj-user: lovestwell
Uh, and those overheard_in_some_city sites can be fun, especially for the easily distracted among us.

Anonymous said...

btw, your TWiT link is broken - I end up on the Yandex page.
And while we are at it: how about "forastera's journal" (yup, lowercase)? I apologise for the inconvenience and want to save you the trouble of renaming in the future. Although I doubt that anyone would look at my incoherent ramblings given other choices, any suggestions for a title are greatly appreciated..