I might be right

Sunday, February 25

What the ..?

I guess you can argue that having a baby while financially dependant of your parents is a good idea. I guess you can argue that the added stability and security can add up to a safe environment when growing up. I guess you can also argue that having a baby at an early age will add several years’ worth of maturity the moment a small head peaks out and draws breath. But I am sure that none of these thoughts crosses a fourteen year old girl's mind before she decides to get pregnant. OUT OF BOREDOM!

"There's nothing for children to do in Paignton. I honestly think they get bored and think it's a fashionable thing to get pregnant."

Or even worse; as a fashion accessory
"When my friends see my bump they say they wish they could have a baby, then three weeks later they're pregnant and don't know what to do.
[…]
It seems to be fashionable to get pregnant."
I cannot even begin to contemplate what goes through a young girls head at the point where thinking ‘babies are cute’ equals ‘I want to have a baby’. But perhaps it’s a natural progression from seeing that hot celebrity with the ridiculous mini-dog tucked away in a thousand dollar bag with a ten thousand dollar collar. They do tend to produce babies just like the rest of the adult population after all. ‘I want a dog like that’ is similar to ‘I want a baby like that’ I guess…
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post induced the same emotions in me as the two last Dilbert posts about asbestos: it could be even funny if it wasn't so damn sad.
And yet I cannot help but wonder: where are the "happy" fathers of those fashionable babies, and what where they thinking?

Deandri said...

Well apparently the father of this particular 14 year old is the 13 year old boyfriend. Seriously, at 13... No I am not going to think about this anymore...

Morghus said...

The next fad will probably be "bring a child to the world, and then sell/adopt it away"...

Reminds me of a story I read many years ago about the "adoption fad" where adopting children was in and cool and hip and so on. I keep wondering how many children ended up in a home that didn't really want one.