I might be right

Wednesday, February 14

I want a Dell cell phone

And no I don’t mean it that way… I’m not dying to see a cell phone with the Dell logo printed on it in big letters. The brand is not of any particular importance. What I want is for a mobile phone company to pick up the Dell business model. Just picture this: 

- Hello, and welcome to Dreamphone Inc. How may I help you?
- Yeah, hello. I’d like to order a cell phone…
- Certainly, sir. What type of cell phone would you like?
- Well… It’d have to be a small one, but with a nice bright screen
- Ah, yes. Then we have two models you might like: one is a slider and one is a flip phone. The flip is slightly bigger but you get the additional screen to see who’s calling, and we can fit a better camera module into that one. The slider phone has the advantage of a slightly better battery – but both will have around average standby and talk time.
- Well, I’m not concerned about the camera, but is it possible to get a 3G module in both phones?
- Certainly sir, but that means you have to sacrifice some of the internal memory – or move up to a slightly bigger shell. Not a problem? All right then. 
[…]
- Is there anything else I can add to the order?
- I don’t think so…
- We have your phone then. A mail with the complete specification list as well as an illustration photo of the phone will be sent to you shortly. Don’t hesitate to call again if you have any questions or changes. Your phone should be shipped within three weeks. Have a nice day, and thank you for using Dreamphone Inc.

I’m not all that optimistic, but a little daydreaming hasn’t hurt anyone...
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting post, very well written :)

Andreas said...

Thats an awesome idea! I would like that :) Probably would be a hard thing to do though, and I reckon build quality might not be great. Not to be a fanboy or anything, but one of the reasons Macs work so well is just because of the fact that Apple won't let you do anything yourself. Cellphones work good today, but if this model was to be adopted, I fear they would soon turn into the same hell as Windows computers...